Part-Time: School Year Elementary Science Teacher
Rock Prairie Montessori School is seeking a highly motivated, hands-on, dedicated candidate for our Elementary additional Science program at our Janesville, WI campus. This individual will work with a mixed age smaller group of elementary students on a trimester schedule, culminating with a student driven science fair at the end of each trimester. Students will use the scientific method to investigate a scientific principle, then demonstrate and present their understanding by displaying their knowledge at the science fair. Inquiry, investigation and student led discovery with guidance is the major tenet of this program. Process is valued over product.
Position hours: Friday morning from 8:00am – 12:00pm and 2 preparation hours.
Classroom Program duties:
- Supervise students at all times including transitions between activities ensuring students are accounted for, are safe, and understand what is expected of them.
- Assist in the daily preparation of the environment as well as cleaning the environment at the end of each session. This is inclusive of organizing the children to participate in cleaning.
- Help children work cooperatively in an atmosphere of respect using models of behavior and intervention demonstrated by the Lead Teacher.
- Be prepared for the weeks class with materials and curriculum staged.
- Promote, set up and host with students a Friday evening science fair three times a year.
- Promote good communication.
- Maintain professional attitudes and foster a positive, constructive, and supportive relationship between parents, colleagues, children, and the school.
- Assist with supervision of parent volunteers
- Be knowledgeable of and comply with the school child disciplinary process.
- Respect confidentially of children, parents, and staff.
Qualifications and Skills
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Has a passion for working with children and is enthusiastic about scientific inquiry and exploration with children ages 6-12.
- Has work experience in a Montessori, traditional school or camp.
- Understands and has the ability to apply and teach the processes involved with scientific inquiry, investigation and exploration.
- Is welcoming of a student led, organic exploration of all aspects of science.
- Is creative, can multi task and is comfortable with project based learning.
- Will need to pass a criminal background check and have references. (Negative TB test documentation required within 30 days of hire.)
- Has some knowledge of the Montessori Method of education, or is supportive of learning the foundations of the Montessori approach and philosophy.
Position paying a stipend of $20 per hour.
To apply, please send resume to Martha Carver at email@example.com.